Premier Wab Kinew has sent out his Mandate letters calling on Ministers to respect the excellence and expert advice of the public service and to work with them on our shared mission to serve the people of Manitoba.
In his mandate letter to Agriculture Minister Ron Kostyshyn he noted that Agriculture is the backbone of the provincial economy.
Here is an exert from the Agriculture Mandate Letter
"As the Minister of Agriculture, you are the steward of this essential sector. Your goal will be to support the sector so that Manitoba can be a leader in agricultural innovation, research, and job creation. A strong agricultural sector means a strong Manitoba. In particular, I ask that you work with your Cabinet colleagues and through legislative, regulatory, and department processes to deliver on these immediate priorities:
• Reinstate unit transfers to the Crown Land program while also making leases more affordable to give the next generation of producers a fighting chance.
• Work with the Federal government to ensure strong AgriRecovery and AgriStablity supports to help producers make ends meet while they navigate the impacts of climate change.
• Keep MASC offices open to give producers the support they need close to home and explore opportunities to bring MASC offices back to rural communities.
• Work with the Minister of Advanced Education and Training to deliver funding to build a Prairie Innovation centre for Sustainable Agriculture at Assiniboine Community College.
• Support innovation and research in the agricultural sector including opportunities to expand regenerative agriculture. "
The premier noted that the road ahead will have challenges.
"Change does not come easily. But we owe it to the people of this great province to deliver on our commitments. I know you are as committed as I am to working hard every day to deliver for the people of Manitoba. Our Cabinet will reflect the values all Manitobans share of honesty, hard work, pragmatism and kindness."