Steinbach fire crews put out a fire in the basement of a home on Ellice Avenue Tuesday afternoon.
Fire Chief Kel Toews says they were called just after 2:30. He adds once crews arrived there was a significant amount of black smoke in the home.
“It was contained to a dryer,” notes Toews, “we quickly extinguished it and cleared the smoke.”
He specifies the fire originated in the lint trap and issues a reminder “that before or after every load, to empty your lint trap and make sure it’s clean.”
Toews says there was minimal physical damage to the home aside from the dryer but adds the furnace was located nearby which sent the smoke all through the house resulting in a fair bit of smoke damage.
He indicates one person was home but exited safely.