Heart disease and stroke are the top killers of North Americans, causing more deaths than all forms of cancer combined. Referred to as “silent killers” because the first sign in the majority of cases is a fatal event. The main cause of heart disease and stroke is atherosclerosis, which is hardening and narrowing of the arterial walls from a buildup of unstable plaque, blood clots and inflammation.
The coronary arteries supply the heart muscle with vital oxygen and nutrients. If there is limited or blocked blood flow through the coronary arteries, severe damage to the heart muscle often takes place which can be the cause of a heart attack or heart failure.
A stroke is caused by a similar blockage in the arteries supplying blood the brain. Not surprisingly, Huntington’s and Parkinson’s disease have both been associated with reduced blood flow to certain regions in the brain.
Conversely, hypertension damages small blood vessels in the brain linked to thinking and memory. “High blood pressure is a known risk factor for long-term thinking and memory problems,” said Dr. Matthew McCoyd, assistant professor of neurology at Loyola University Medical Center in Chicago.
Atherosclerosis development is directly linked to stress, heavy metal toxicity, sugar consumption, trans-fats, generally poor eating habits and lifestyle choices.
Symptoms and conditions associated with heart disease:
- High blood pressure
- Cold hands and/or feet
- Chest pain or pressure
- Irregular heartbeat
- Persistent cough
- Male impotence
- Frank’s sign (earlobe creases)
- Unexplained fatigue, lightheaded or dizziness
- Rapid or irregular pulse
- Shortness of breath
The following is a list of herbs that help to support the heart and arterial function:
Aged Garlic Bulb
- Reverses the buildup of deadly plaque in the arteries, prevents blood clots & reduces blood pressure while increasing blood flow to all parts of the body.
- Acts as an herbal chelation system that helps flush heavy metals from the blood.
Stabilized Allicin from Garlic
- Proven to kill even the toughest drug resistant bacteria, stabilized allicin helps fight Periodontal disease and Pneumonia which promote heart disease.
Hawthorn fruit, leaf and flower
- Helpful in the treatment of angina, arrhythmia, heart palpitations, heart attack, congestive heart failure and stroke. Opens blood vessels and increases blood supply to the heart which enhances oxygen delivery and results in a stronger and more powerful heart muscle.
European Mistletoe Leaf
- Originally used to treat epilepsy this herb is known for calming the nervous system; important for managing stress hormones that are involved in the onset and progression of heart disease.
Motherwort herb top
- This relaxing herb protects cardiac mitochondria and reduces biofilm formation in Staphylococcus aureus infective endocarditis.
- Helps to improve blood flow when there is insufficient circulation to the extremities (e.g. impotence, weakening grip, cold hands and feet).
- Strengthens blood vessels and capillaries while simultaneously improving their flexibility, two key requirements for improving hypertension.
- Helps prevent oxidation of LDL cholesterol and the formation of unstable plaque.
White Willow bark
- Salicin is a natural substance found in white willow bark, known to prevent heart attack and stroke. It is not only a natural pain killer but an anti-inflammatory that prevents abnormal blood clots and inflamed arteries (vasculitis). This natural form does not cause internal bleeding like acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin).
These herbs used together in measured doses can be taken safely by adults (with the exception of pregnant and nursing mothers) and have no known drug interactions. Safe, powerful medicine for today’s top killers.
This column is sponsored by Good 'n' Natural in Steinbach.