Whether the weather be fine,
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold,
Or whether the weather be hot,
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather
Whether we like it or not.
Once again Mother Nature has pulled a stunt. We have experienced some warmer temperatures, and seen a bit of snow melting and, as always, our hopes rise that maybe an early spring is just around the corner. But apparently it was just a teaser from Mother Nature and she is laughing up her sleeve as we are experiencing one of those infamous March blizzards today. It isn’t as if we are particularly shocked – after all we know that weather is a fickle entity here in Manitoba.
For those who are interested in weather as a science, or if your children are studying weather in school we have some great resources. To search what is available for students you can go to our website: www.jakeepplibrary.com and click the Search Catalogue button. Below is a picture of a basic search setup.
- Search by Keyword, and select the criteria Any Match, rather than the default Start With
- The keyword is weather, but if you want to choose specific kinds of weather, you could enter words such as snow, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.
- Sorting Results by Title will present the resulting list of Titles in alphabetical order
- One of the very important criteria to select is the Collection Type. The default setting is set to search everything in the library. But for school students the best help is to search by Juvenile Non-fiction or by YA (young adult) Non-fiction. This will limit the results to books that are at the appropriate reading level for your student.
- After setting up the Search criteria, click the green Search button and start browsing.
If you would like further assistance with learning how to use the search functions, please ask us when you are in the library and we will be happy to help you.
Don’t forget that once you have found titles you want, you can also put a Reserve on the book from home. You will first have to enter a password on your account while you are at the library, but with your password and the number of your account on your library card, you have the ability to check your account online. You can see how many books you have checked out, when they are due, put reserves on books, and check your loan history.
While the weather may be fickle, you will always find a warm welcome at the Jake Epp Library and, once you have shoveled your driveway and brushed off your car, we look forward to your visit.