More details have emerged from Saturday's kitchen fire in Steinbach.

The Steinbach Fire Department was called to a residence along Ash Avenue shortly after 8 pm.

Steinbach Fire Chief Kel Toews says the homeowner doused the fire using a fire extinguisher. However, the individual was transported to hospital. Toews says the extent of injuries is unknown.

According to Toews, the fire department attended to make sure the fire was completely out. He notes the kitchen sustained damage, while the rest of the house was fine.

While crews were still on scene, a second call came down for a carbon monoxide alarm sounding at a residence along Willow Crescent.

Toews notes there was no emergency with the second call, as it was a faulty alarm.