The hog industry in Manitoba has been delivered yet another blow. This week the provincial government announced a pause for new hog barn construction and new renovation projects to existing barns.  Guy Beaudry is vice president of business development with Hytek in La Broquerie.  He is surprised by the announcement and questions why the hog industry has been singled out.  The hog industry contributes less than 1 per cent of the nutrient loading to Lake Winnipeg, and they do accept responsibility for that.  But he feels a better long term plan is to work with the other 99 per cent as well.  What this means for Hytek is several future hog barn opportunities will have to be shelved.
And it may interfere with plans to build a number of finishing barns to supply their proposed Olywest facility with more local hogs.